Alternate Homepage Forums Roasting A few questions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shane Lewis
    Keymaster

I am interested in your coffee roaster system. I have a couple of questions:
    1. What is the smallest roasting load the 4,6, and 8-pound drums can handle?
    2. I noticed you are building a cooling system. How big is the cooling unit? Are there any pictures you can send me? Do you have a target price, if so how much do you intend to charge?
    3. I noticed several different configurations of your roaster using different thermometers, thermocouples, motors, etc. Is there an optimum configuration?
    4. Which gas grills work best with each of the three aforementioned size roasting drums?
    -Hank Perkins

Shane Lewis
    Keymaster

1. What is the smallest roasting load the 4,6, and 8-pound drums can handle?

You can pretty much roast about any reasonable amount in any of the drums. The vanes are aligned in such a way as to keep the coffee agitated in the drum during the roast process. I have done 1/4 pound in the 4Lb before with perfect results. I think due to the circulating bean mass, possibly the best results can be had at minimums (or higher) : 4Lb:1/4 pound 6Lb: 1/2 pound 8LB 3/4 pound.

2. I noticed you are building a cooling system. How big is the cooling unit? Are there any pictures you can send me? Do you have a target price, if so how much do you intend to charge?

The cooling unit will initially be tested for the 4Lb-6Lb Unit. It will stand about to your mid-thigh, and it will be on the wheel. It will be completely automated allowing you to dump and go attend to the next roast, with automated cooling, stirring and chaff removal… It will be motorized and be approx. 16″ in diameter. I don’t have any pictures just yet, as we are in the final stages of assembly, but I expect to have some next week. Price is still unsure, I am going to try to keep it below $400. This will be a very professional unit and look sharp next to your setup.

3. I noticed several different configurations of your roaster using different thermometers, thermocouples, motors, etc. Is there an optimum configuration?

Not really, exactly, everyone sort of comes up with their own configurations. That said, there really is a base design that everyone comes up with in the end. If you look at the assembly guide on the site, I go through what I would call the optimum assembly, I document every part of the assembly process and particularly the sheet metal mods section will make the grill run super efficient and is what I recommend. I do also sell an “Everything Combo” which contains everything you will need and sheet metal (if you choose to do the mods). You’ll basically want to pick a 4, 6 or 8LB configuration depending on how much coffee volume you need to produce. You’ll also want to anticipate some growth as the coffee coming out of these drums is simply phenomenal.

4. Which gas grills work best with each of the three aforementioned size roasting drums?

I recommend 36,000BTU+ grills as a minimum for the 4-6Lb drums and 40,000-45,000 for the 8Lb. The 15Lb unit, which I think is coming Q4 2009 will take 55,000+ BTU

Kind Regards,
    -Shane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.