Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shane Lewis
    Keymaster

Hi, I am looking to get a grill for my 2lb RK drum. Do you think a 25000 BTU grill will suffice? This is the model I am looking at:

https://www.lowes.com/pd_536906-65173-24025HNT_1z0wekx__?productId=50134534&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1#img

Any guidance is appreciated.
    -Marc

Shane Lewis
    Keymaster

I have plenty of suggestions! But you should give me a call and we can talk things through… as to grill, however…. the coffee literally doesn’t care…. it just needs a hot box to roast in….. preferably 35K-40K BTU for expandability…. (if you want to do that) and having a rotisserie slot. Some people roast in beer kegs, in mud ovens, in brick ovens… as long as it’s a box and holds heat, and you can put the required heat under then coffee, that’s the entirety of roasting well here. So don’t fret much about one grill vs. another…

Buy one that physically is sturdy enough for your purpose, and if you ever plan on growing the hobby/business or think you might plan for the future. Make sure from the rotisserie slot measuring down to the tallest object below (take the metal meat grates out) ..usually the tallest object below is the burner diffusers, you need to have 5″ of space…. and 35K BTU for 4LB, 40K BTU for 6LB and 45k BTU for 8LB, and 45K+ for 12LB…. and you can upgrade to any of those drums with the 2LB kit…. just by swapping the drum out for the bigger size drum. (Note that with the 12LB drum you will need to have 6″ vertical space instead of 5″ for the smaller kits…

Call me and I might be able to explain it better.

Have a look at this link as well…
    https://blackbalsam.co/rkdrums/index.php/how-to1/which-grill-should-i-buy
    -Shane

Shane Lewis
    Keymaster

Thanks for the quick response, Shane. Do you have any suggestions? This would be used exclusively for roasting.
    -Marc

Shane Lewis
    Keymaster

Thanks for the email! I do think that will work for a 2LB, however, if you can get into 35,000 for a few dollars more, that will give you expandability into a 4LB/5LB drum (only a drum replacement) with all the same equipment if you want to go there at some point.
    -Shane

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.